Roast potatoes get a crispy upgrade with this two-part method. First oven-steam baby creamers or fingerlings on a tightly covered sheet pan. Then sprinkle them with smoked paprika, coriander, and pepper and smash the little potatoes gently with the bottom of a glass. Finally, return them to the oven to crisp. For the first stage, leaving some water clinging to the potatoes helps them steam. Smashing creates more flat surface area for maximum crunch and exposes some of the flesh to soak up salt and the smoky spices. If you’re feeding a large crowd, double the recipe and use two sheet pans, switching them from top to bottom halfway through the second roasting.
|1½||pounds baby potatoes, such as Yukon Gold, fingerlings, or creamers|
|3||tablespoons olive oil|
|½||teaspoon smoked paprika|
|½||teaspoon ground coriander|
|1||tablespoon chopped fresh herbs (thyme, oregano, parsley)|
1. Set the oven at 500 degrees. Have on hand a rimmed baking sheet.
2. Wash the potatoes and place on the baking sheet. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and toss to coat them. Cover tightly with foil and roast for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a skewer.
3. In a small bowl, mix the salt, paprika, coriander, and pepper.
4. Cover the bottom of the outside of a wide drinking glass with plastic wrap. Remove potatoes from the oven and sprinkle with half the spice mixture, tossing to coat them. Space the potatoes evenly apart on the baking sheet. Gently crush each one with the glass’s bottom. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and the remaining spice mixture.
5. Return the baking sheet to the bottom rack of the oven. Continue roasting, uncovered, for 15 minutes, turning the potatoes halfway through cooking. Total roasting time is 30 to 35 minutes. Sprinkle with the herbs. Claudia CatalanoClaudia Catalano can be reached at email@example.com.