Health & wellness

Injury toll from Marathon bombs reduced to 264

Boston public health officials said Tuesday that they have revised downward their estimate of the number of people injured in the Marathon ­attacks, to 264.

A spokesman for the Boston Public Health Commission had said Monday that state health officials had counted 282 people who were injured and treated at Greater Boston hospitals, by Saturday.

Advertisement

Why did the number ­decrease?

“It turns out that we had double-counted some patients who were transferred from one hospital to another, so we ­reviewed our spreadsheets and cleaned up the duplicates,” said Nick Martin, the spokesman for the city’s Public Health Commission.

Estimates last week placed the number of injured at about 170, but that figure rose because dozens of victims delayed seeking medical care for minor wounds or symptoms that they thought would go away on their own, including hearing ­problems and embedded shrapnel.

Deborah Kotz can be reached at dkotz@globe.com. Follow her on Twitter @debkotz2.
Loading comments...
Real journalists. Real journalism. Subscribe to The Boston Globe today.