A Rhode Island beach has made Family Vacation Critic’s list of the top 10 US beaches for families, released early this morning.
Misquamicut State Beach in Westerly, the only New England beach to make the list, was cited for its amenities — showers, restrooms, a snack stand and gift shop, plus lifeguards. Family Vacation Critic’s editors said families will appreciate the beach’s calm waters and Westerly’s laid-back and fun feel, with nearby attractions including Watch Hill Lighthouse, classic amusements at Atlantic Beach Park, and a statue of Mrs. Potato Head.
“Choosing an ideal beach for families can be quite difficult,” said Lissa Poirot, editor-in-chief of Family Vacation Critic, which is TripAdvisor’s family travel site. “Families are looking for beaches that are not only safe and clean, but also those that offer a level of convenience that meets the needs of those traveling with various age groups. Nearby accommodations, restaurants, and attractions — as well as cost — all add to a beach’s appeal.”
She said the beaches were selected by Family Vacation Critic’s editors to highlight not only large, well-known beaches, but also hidden gems. Within the top 10, the beaches are not ranked.
The other beaches worth checking out with kids?
• Cape Hatteras National Seashore in Outer Banks, N.C.
• Sleeping Bear Dunes National Seashore in Empire, Mich.
• South Padre Island in South Padre, Texas
• The Wildwoods in Wildwood, N.J.
• Captiva Beach in Captiva Island, Fla.
• La Jolla Cove in San Diego, Calif.
• Million Dollar Beach in Lake George, N.Y.
• Clinch Beach in Traverse City, Mich.
• Golden Gardens Park in Seattle
Click here to read more about the beaches, plus insider tips and the judge’s comments about them.Chris Morris can be reached at email@example.com.