What is the point of traveling the world if you can’t share it — or boast about it — with deskbound friends back home?
Instagram, the popular photo-sharing platform, has become a fan favorite among travelers, who often post wanderlust-inducing photos from their worldly adventures to remind loved ones they’re on vacation — and very #happy about it.
The app recently released its year-in-review data, which included, among other stats, the most photographed cities, locations, and museums, based on geotagged data, of 2017. Instagram’s data team also highlighted the top hashtags and filters used by its global community of 800 million users this past year.
The Big Apple and the House of Mouse took the top slots for most photographed city and location, respectfully, while Paris’s Louvre Museum was the most Instagrammed museum worldwide (no doubt thanks to tourists’ countless selfies with the ‘‘Mona Lisa”).
The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York took first place among US museums, while Washington’s Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden cracked the top 10 — at No. 8 — for the first time, probably because of Yayoi Kusama’s wildly popular and photo-friendly mirrored infinity rooms. Nearly 160,000 people experienced the museum’s record-breaking Kusama exhibition and posted around 34,000 snapshots from it on their Instagram accounts, according to the museum.
Here are a few of the site’s top lists:
Most Instagrammed cities
1. New York
4. Sao Paulo
6. Los Angeles
7. St. Petersburg
8. Jakarta, Indonesia
Most Instagrammed locations
1. Disneyland, Anaheim, Calif.
2. Times Square, New York
3. Central Park, New York
4. Eiffel Tower, Paris
5. Tokyo Disneyland
6. Disney’s Magic Kingdom, Orlando
7. Louvre Museum, Paris
8. Brooklyn Bridge, New York
9. Disney California Adventure Park,
10. Las Vegas Strip
Most Instagrammed museums (global) of 2017
1. Louvre Museum, Paris
2. The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York
3. The Museum of Modern Art,
4. Los Angeles County Museum
5. British Museum, London
6. American Museum of Natural History, New York
7. Whitney Museum of American Art, New York
8. Victoria and Albert Museum, London
9. Natural History Museum, London
10. Museum of Ice Cream,
Most Instagrammed museums (US) of 2017
1. The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York
2. The Museum of Modern Art,
3. Los Angeles County Museum
4. American Museum of Natural History, New York
5. Whitney Museum of American Art, New York
6. Museum of Ice Cream,
7. San Francisco Museum of
8. Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, Washington, D.C.
9. National September 11 Memorial & Museum, New York
10. Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, New York
Top hashtags of 2017