Globe Magazine Homes of the Year Contest
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT IS NECESSARY.
1. DESCRIPTION OF THE CONTEST. The Homes of the year contest (“Contest”) is designed to reward entrants who submit the best home renovation photos and responses to questions according to the judging criteria set forth in rule 4. Submissions can be entered in any or all of five categories:
1) Newly built homes;
2) New or renovated kitchens;
3) An addition to an existing home;
4) Redesign or renovation; and
5) A budget project.
Prizes, as described in rule will be awarded in each category.
2. ENTRY DATES. The Contest begins on at 12:01AM ET on April 15, 2012 and ends on at 5:00 PM ET on June 15, 2012 (“Submission Period”) Sponsor receives the right to cancel or modify the Contest at any time without prior notice to entrants.
3. ELIGIBILITY. Contest is open to legal residents of the Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Vermont, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Entrants must be 18 years of age or older at the time of submission. Employees of The Boston Globe, Boston.com (collectively the "Sponsor"), Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams (“Prize Provider”) and their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, promotion and advertising agencies, and members of their immediate family (defined as spouse and parent, children and siblings and their respective spouses, regardless of where they reside) and persons living in the same household, whether or not related, of such employees, are not eligible to enter or win.
4. HOW TO ENTER. Visit [ boston.com/homecontest] (“Contest Site”) during the Submission Period and complete and official entry form according to the onscreen instructions. The entry form will contain two marked questions that will be judged as part of your Submission. Each question must be answered in English with a 200 word limit. Provide a before and after photo of your work up to a maximum of seven photographs. Your answers and your photos are collectively your “Submission”. You may enter one Submission in each category, but you can only win a prize for one Submission. To upload your photos follow the onscreen instruction, Photos must meet JP requirements and format set forth at the Submission Site. All Submissions become the property of the Sponsor and will not be returned.
5. SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS. Submission must comply with the following guidelines:
i. The Submission may not contain any content that is lewd, obscene, sexually explicit, pornographic, disparaging, defamatory, libelous, obscene, or that otherwise contains inappropriate content or objectionable material as determined by Sponsor in its sole and unfettered discretion.
ii. The Submission must be your original work, created solely by you, and must not infringe the copyright, trademark, privacy, publicity, or other intellectual rights of any person or entity.
iii. If any persons appear in the Submission, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to sending the Submission, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the Submission by Sponsor as set forth in these Official Rules.
iv. The Submission must not contain any personally identifiable information of any person other than you. Should you include personally identifiable information about yourself in your Submission, you acknowledge and agree that such information will be disclosed publicly and you are solely responsible for any consequences thereof.
By entering your Submission, you agree that your Submission conforms to these Official Rules and that Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may disqualify your Submission for any reason at any time, including if it determines, in its sole discretion, that your Submission fails to conform to these Official Rules in any way or otherwise contains unacceptable content as determined by Sponsor. In addition, by submitting a Submission, you hereby grant permission for the Submission to be posted online, at Sponsor’s websites or other websites at Sponsor’s sole discretion. You agree that Released Parties (as defined below) are not responsible for any unauthorized use of Submission by third parties. Released Parties do not guarantee the posting of any Submission.
6. JUDGING. A panel of judges will review all eligible Submissions at the close of the Submission Period on the following criteria for newly built homes, new or renovated kitchens, addition to existing homes, redesign or renovation (except kitchen): visual appeal 50%, creativity 25% and livability 25%. For budget projects, visual appeal 50%, affordability 20%, creativity 15% and livability 15%.
The Submission in each category with the highest combined score will be declared the winners. In the case of a tie, the Submission with the highest score in visual appeal will be declared the winner. If ties remain, the Submission with the highest score in creativity will be declared the winner, except for budget project Submission in which affordability will serve as the breaker. Sponsor reserves the right not to award all prizes, if it does not receive a sufficient number of qualified entries in any category.
7. PRIZES. One winner in each category will receive a $500 gift certificate from Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams.
Prize is awarded “as is” with no warranty or guarantee, either express or implied by Sponsor. You may not substitute, assign or transfer prize or redeem prize for cash, but Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to substitute prize (or portion thereof) with one of comparable or greater value. You are responsible for all applicable federal, state and local taxes, if any, as well as any other costs and expenses associated with prize acceptance and use not specified herein as being provided.
8. WINNER NOTIFICATION. Judges’ and Sponsor’s decisions are final and binding on all matters relating to this Contest. Potential winners will be notified by email and may be required to complete an Affidavit of Eligibility, Liability and Publicity Release and any other documents required by Sponsorand/or Prize Provider, which must be returned within seven (7) days of date appearing on prize notification. Failure to respond to email notification within 5 days will be grounds for Sponsor’s disqualification of potential winner. Return of prize or prize notification as undeliverable, failure to sign and return requested documentation within the specified time period, the inability of Sponsor to contact a potential winner within a reasonable time period or noncompliance with these Official Rules by any potential winner will result in disqualification and, at Sponsor’s sole discretion, the prize may be awarded to a runner-up.
10. GENERAL CONDITIONS. By participating, you agree: (a) to abide by these Official Rules and decisions of Sponsor and judges, which shall be final and binding in all respects relating to this Contest; (b) to release, indemnify, discharge and hold harmless Sponsor, Prize Provider, and their respective parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, and advertising and promotion agencies, and the respective officers, directors, shareholders, employees, agents and representatives of the forgoing (collectively, “Released Parties”) from any and all claims, damages, expenses, costs (including reasonable attorneys’ fees), injuries, liability (including settlements), losses and damages of any kind to persons, including death, or property resulting, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from entrant’s participation in the Contest or any Contest-related activity or the acceptance, possession, use or misuse of any awarded prize and (c) to the use of his/her name, voice, performance, photograph/video, image and/or likeness for programming, advertising, publicity and promotional purposes in any and all media, now or hereafter known, worldwide and on the Internet, and in perpetuity by Sponsor and its designees, without compensation (unless prohibited by law) or additional consents from entrant or any third party and without prior notice, approval or inspection, and to execute specific consent to such use if asked to do so.
10. OWNERSHIP/USE OF ENTRIES. By entering a Submission, each entrant agrees Sponsor shall own the Submission (including all rights embodied therein) and that it and its designees may exploit, edit, modify, and distribute the Submission and all elements of such Submission, including, without limitation, the names and likenesses of any persons or locations embodied therein, in any and all media now known or hereafter devised, worldwide, in perpetuity without compensation, permission or notification to entrant or any third party.
11. MISCELLANEOUS. Released Parties are not responsible for lost, late, incomplete, damaged, inaccurate, stolen, delayed, misdirected, undelivered, or garbled Submissions; or for lost, interrupted or unavailable network, server, Internet Service Provider (ISP), website, or other connections, availability or accessibility or miscommunications or failed computer, satellite, telephone or cable transmissions, lines, or technical failure or jumbled, scrambled, delayed, or misdirected transmissions or computer hardware or software malfunctions, failures or difficulties, or other errors or difficulties of any kind whether human, mechanical, electronic, computer, network, typographical, printing or otherwise relating to or in connection with the Contest, including, without limitation, errors or difficulties which may occur in connection with the administration of the Contest, the processing or judging of Submission, the announcement of the prize, the incorrect uploading of the Photo or Essay or in any Contest-related materials. Released Parties are also not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by site users, tampering, hacking, or by any equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest. Released Parties are not responsible for injury or damage to any person's computer related to or resulting from participating in this Contest or downloading materials from or use of the website. Persons who tamper with or abuse any aspect of the Contest or website, who act in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner or who are in violation of these Official Rules, as solely determined by Sponsor, will be disqualified and all associated Entries will be void. Should any portion of the Contest be, in Sponsor’s sole opinion, compromised by virus, worms, bugs, non-authorized human intervention or other causes which, in the sole opinion of the Sponsor, corrupt or impair the administration, security, fairness or proper play, or submission of Entries, Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to suspend, modify or terminate the Contest and, if terminated, at its discretion, select the potential winner from all eligible, non-suspect Submission received prior to action taken using the judging procedure outlined above.
CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE THE WEBSITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST MAY BE IN VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES AND OTHER REMEDIES (INCLUDING ATTORNEYS’ FEES) FROM ANY SUCH INDIVIDUAL TO THE FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW, INCLUDING CRIMINAL PROSECUTION.
12. APPLICABLE LAWS AND JURISDICTION. This Contest is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Issues concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules shall be governed by the laws of the State of Massachusetts, without regard to any principles of conflict of laws. All disputes arising out of or connected with this Contest will be resolved individually, and without resort to class action, exclusively by a state or federal court located in Boston, Massachusetts. Should there be a conflict between the laws of the State of Massachusetts and any other laws, the conflict will be resolved in favor of the laws of the State of Massachusetts. To the extent permitted by applicable law, all judgments or awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket damages (excluding attorneys’ fees) associated with participation in this Contest and shall not include any indirect, punitive, incidental and/or consequential damages.
13. Request for Winners’ List. For a list of winners (available after 10/21/2012), send a self-addressed, stamped, envelope by 10/1/2012 to: Homes of the Year Contest winners, a/o The Boston Globe, 135 Morrissey Blvd., Boston, MA 02125.
Sponsor. The Boston Globe Magazine, 135 Morrissey Blvd., Boston, MA 02125.