You can now read 10 articles in a month for free on BostonGlobe.com. Read as much as you want anywhere and anytime for just 99¢.

The Boston Globe

Metro

Conn. to extradite rape suspect

Faces trial in Va., allegedly tied to total of 17 cases

NEW HAVEN - Connecticut prosecutors will try to send a man suspected in rape cases along the East Coast to face trial first in Virginia, where a prosecutor asked that he be extradited to answer for what the official called heinous crimes.

Aaron Thomas was arrested in March in New Haven, his hometown, and authorities say DNA confirmed that he is responsible for rapes and other attacks on 17 women from Virginia to Connecticut over the span of a decade.

Continue reading below

Michael Dearington, New Haven state’s attorney, would not discuss why Connecticut decided to extradite Thomas, who is planning to challenge the move to another jurisdiction.

Paul Ebert, Prince William County prosecutor, said yesterday that he petitioned to have Thomas returned to Virginia, where he faces potential life sentences, as soon as possible.

“He committed heinous crimes here,’’ Ebert said. “From the day he was charged, I wanted him back here to be tried.’’

Thomas, 40, pleaded not guilty in March to a charge of raping a woman in New Haven in 2007.

Joseph Lopez, the public defender representing Thomas in Connecticut, said a hearing has been scheduled Nov. 28 to consider his challenge to the extradition attempt.

Continue reading below

Lopez said that Connecticut authorities have held Thomas for more than eight months and that the state’s desire to extradite him now would violate his constitutional right to a speedy trial.

He said marshals had two warrants when they arrested Thomas March 4: a fugitive from justice warrant from Prince William County and another charging him with sexual assault in New Haven.

Authorities could have initiated extradition proceedings on the fugitive from justice charge in March, but instead served him with an extradition warrant earlier this month, the lawyer said.

“Why at this particular junction?’’ Lopez asked.

The first assault authorities say they connected to Thomas was in 1997 in Forestville, Md., when a man pulled a gun on a woman and forced her into the woods, then fled on a bicycle.

Seven months later, a woman was raped behind a restaurant garbage bin in Maryland.

The following year a 16-year-old girl was raped, also in Maryland. Authorities said the same man then started attacking women in Virginia, until two victims were raped in the same attack in Maryland in 2001.

Police said the suspect resurfaced in 2006 in New England, peeping on a girl doing her homework in Rhode Island before her screams scared him off. Two teenage trick-or-treaters were raped in 2009 in Woodbridge, Va.

Authorities had mounted a large-scale public outreach campaign, putting up electronic billboards in the states where the attacks occurred and in neighboring states.

DNA from a cigarette that police saw Thomas discard after leaving a New Haven court was used to confirm that Thomas was the man wanted in the attacks, a prosecutor has said.

You have reached the limit of 10 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week