As Dieuphete Celime emerged from Terminal B at Logan International Airport on Monday, the boy in the wheelchair with bandages covering his face and head was said to have no idea where he was but knew that he was some place better than where he came from. Three months ago, 12-year-old Dieuphete was sitting in a Haitian village attempting to cook two ears of corn he found for his siblings when a gasoline-fueled fire caught a nylon shirt he was wearing. Instinctively, he tried to pull it over his head, but the nylon liquefied in the fire and bound to his face. He suffered third and fourth degree burns over most of his face, neck, and upper torso. Today, he is at one of the best pediatric burn centers in America, Shriners Hospital for Children in Boston, where a team of doctors will attempt to give Dieuphete a new lease on life - and a functioning face.
Unlimited access to BostonGlobe.com for only 99 cents for the first 4 weeks.Sign up
Are you a home delivery subscriber?
Get FREE access as part of your print subscriptionStart Here
Contact us for help