A cigarette on a second-floor porch ignited a rapidly moving blaze that consumed a Dorchester three-decker house and sent a 13-year-old boy and five firefighters to the hospital yesterday morning, officials said.
Some 80 firefighters battled the three-alarm fire at 28 Harvard Ave. for nearly three hours before bringing it under control. By then, flames had raged through the building, leaving nine homeless.
“There was a lot of fire,’’ said Boston Fire Department spokesman Steve MacDonald, standing across the street from the burned out building, located near the intersection of Washington Street. “It was blowing out the sides. It’s a total loss.’’
The fire began about 5:45 a.m. and spread to the third floor, ultimately causing an estimated $500,000 in damages, MacDonald said.
The roof was destroyed, windows blown out, and two porches collapsed onto the sidewalk in front of the house.
A van parked on the street was also destroyed after being engulfed in flames.
The boy, who was not identified, suffered burns on his head and was taken to Massachusetts General Hospital, said MacDonald. Five firefighters also suffered injuries that were not life-threatening and were sent to several local hospitals. Three of the firefighters were treated for chest pains, one had a wrist injury, and another had facial cuts.
The Red Cross was providing assistance to the nine people, including five adults and four children, left homeless, MacDonald said.
Boston property records list the owner of the house as Irma Gomez. Attempts to reach her yesterday were unsuccessful.
Boston property records assessed the value of the home at $284,700.Kathy McCabe of the Globe Staff contributed to this story. Alli Knothe can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.