Yarmouth police may seek a criminal complaint against former Massachusetts gubernatorial candidate Christy Mihos after his wife told police the couple quarreled and he shoved a cellphone in her face, according to a person briefed on the allegations.
Andrea Mihos also told police her husband, 62, pushed her on July 7 in West Yarmouth, where the couple share a multimillion-dollar home in a gated community.
Andrea Mihos, who couldn’t be reached for comment, now does not want police to pursue the case, according to two people briefed on the events.
Police may still ask a clerk magistrate to review the allegations to make an independent determination whether charges are warranted.
The most recent case took place Monday in Stuart, Fla., where the couple has a condo. They were arguing in the car when Andrea Mihos began photographing her husband with her cellphone, she told police. He allegedly shoved the phone in her face.
They were quarreling over money, one of the people said, and she accused him of squandering the family fortune.
In a press release issued Friday, Yarmouth police said they opened the investigation on Tuesday at 10 p.m.
The police department, which would not release its report, said it suspended Mihos’s license to carry a firearm and seized a gun that he owns.
Barnstable District Attorney Michael O’Keefe said in a phone interview yesterday that he would not describe the allegations or say what action the police will take.
“The Yarmouth police had a conversation with my office as a result of speaking with Mrs. Mihos, and they were given some direction with respect to how to proceed,’’ O’Keefe said. “I expect they will do it.
“At this point, they are allegations and the subject of a police investigation,’’ he added. “It would be inappropriate [at this point] to discuss them in any way.’’
In an e-mailed statement, a spokeswoman for the Martin County sheriff’s office in Florida said earlier this week that her office had received a faxed report detailing an allegation of domestic violence in Stuart, Fla.
“The report has been forwarded to the Criminal Investigations Division,’’ wrote the spokeswoman, Rhonda Irons. “The investigation is in its preliminary stages. There is no further information to release at this time.’’
The allegations are the latest chapter in Mihos’s long history of public and private triumphs and failures.
After establishing himself as a successful convenience store entrepreneur, Mihos carved out a niche on Beacon Hill as an outspoken challenger of the status quo.
He served on the board of the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority, where he stood out as a critic of the Big Dig and its cost overruns.
He later spent more than $4 million of his own money running two losing campaigns for governor.
In 2006, he left the Republican Party to run for governor as an independent, but picked up only 7 percent of the vote.
In 2010, he tried to run again - this time as a Republican - but his finances were crumbling. The Globe reported that his campaign bounced checks and didn’t report to the state Office of Campaign and Political Finance spending more than $100,000 of his own money on his campaign.
By the time of the Republican Party convention in April of that year, Mihos’s campaign was collapsing. He did not win the 15 percent needed to qualify for the primary.
The Office of Campaign and Political Finance in 2010 fined Mihos $70,000 for several campaign violations - the largest penalty ever imposed on a candidate in Massachusetts. He made two installment payments but failed to pay the final amount due last February - $25,000.
Attorney General Martha Coakley filed suit to recover the money, and asked a judge to place a lien on his $85,000 Zodiac boat.
Andrea Estes can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Frank Phillips of the Globe staff contributed to this report.