A short circuit near a light fixture on a wall caused a small fire this morning in the administrative offices of the Boston Red Sox at historic Fenway Park. Fire officials estimated the blaze caused $100,000 in damage.
Firefighters were called to the ballpark around 11:30 a.m. and found the fire, fueled by papers and other items, burning inside the mailroom on the second floor of 4 Yawkey Way. The fire was quickly extinguished and firefighters had left the scene by about 12:45 p.m., spokesman Steve MacDonald said.
The fire department initially estimated damage at $30,000, mostly as a result of smoke and water damage. Shortly afterward, officials raised the estimate to $100,000.
The storied park is turning 100 this year -- it hosted its first professional baseball game on April 20, 1912.