You can now read 10 articles in a month for free on BostonGlobe.com. Read as much as you want anywhere and anytime for just 99¢.

The Boston Globe

Metro

Ex-Newton teacher undressed and taped 2 girls, officials say

Children slept in attack, police say

David Ettlinger has been accused of assaulting three children in all, none of whom were his students.

While the girls slept, former Newton teacher David Ettlinger allegedly undressed them, fondled them, and videotaped the incidents, prosecutors said during his arraignment in Suffolk Superior Court yesterday.

Ettlinger, 34, is accused of aggravated indecent assault and battery against two Suffolk County girls under the age of 14 on two separate occassions in 2009.

Continue reading below

He pleaded not guilty to a total of six charges of assault, posing minors in a state of nudity, and recording undressed children.

Bail was set at $100,000 cash.

Ettlinger is now accused of assaulting three children in all, none of whom were his students. Investigators have now identified two alleged victims in Suffolk County and one in Middlesex County.

Ettlinger has also pleaded not guilty to the charges in Middlesex County.

Assistant district attorney David Deakin said yesterday that on May 15, 2009, Ettlinger made a video recording of himself fondling a girl at her Suffolk County home while she slept.

On Dec. 5, 2009, he made another video of himself undressing another girl while she slept at a different location, Deakin said.

Ettlinger’s lawyer declined to comment yesterday.

If Ettlinger makes bail, he is barred from having any contact with children under the age of 18.

Ettlinger probably will not be released because of a federal detainer on him, Deakin said. Ettlinger also faces federal charges related to a global online child pornography site.

Yesterday morning, Ettlinger shuffled into the courtroom and made no attempt to hide his face from cameras and reporters as he has in past court appearances.

Ettlinger, who taught at the Underwood Elementary School, resigned from the Newton public schools in late January after school officials moved to fire him.

Earlier this week Middlesex County prosecutors said they discovered troubling but not pornographic photos Ettlinger took of Underwood students on the playground and school grounds. Newton police called in a handful of parents of children they identified in the photos.

He also faces five counts of aggravated indecent assault and battery on a child under 14 in Middlesex Superior Court. Those charges relate to a girl Ettlinger was hired to baby-sit.

Suffolk County prosecutors have tried to protect the identity of the children in the cases.

But from an initial district court case, they did indicate that one of the two Suffolk County girls was a child of Ettlinger’s friend, for whom he baby-sat.

Ettlinger advertised his baby-sitting services on popular websites such as Sittercity.com.

Fernandes can be reached at deirdre.fernandes@globe.com
Loading comments...

You have reached the limit of 10 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week