As a three-alarm fire ravaged a Dracut garage Monday afternoon, Nick Theodore, 19, rescued his grandfather and three cars from the flames, according to fire officials.
“The grandson did a great job,’’ said Fire Chief David Brouillette.
The fire occurred at about 2:10 p.m. on Methuen Street and was under control by about 2:30, Brouillette said.
Nick’s father, Dino Theodore, said he was in front of his house when he heard an explosion and yelled to his son, who ran to check on it.
“The garage was already engulfed in flames,’’ said Dino Theodore.
Nick found his grandfather, Aristomenis Theodore, 81, next to the garage and brought him to safety. Nick also moved three vehicles away from the garage in about five minutes, though a Cadillac owned by a family member was severely damaged.
“The kid was right on the ball,’’ said Dino Theodore. “He didn’t even think.’’
Brouillette said the fire destroyed the garage, but firefighters were able to prevent it from spreading to two adjoining houses.
“The firefighters did an excellent job,’’ Brouillette said. “The potential was there to lose all the buildings.’’
The cause of the fire is under investigation by the Dracut Fire Department. But Dino Theodore said his father remembers walking into the garage when a spark flew from a battery that was charging. The spark may have ignited some gasoline in the garage and resulted in a small explosion, knocking the octogenarian, who suffers from Parkinson’s disease, to the ground.
“He said he saw a flash, and then that was it,’’ Dino Theodore said.
The grandfather had burns and a cut on his right arm and was later taken to Saints Medical Center in Lowell.
Alli Knothe can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.