You can now read 10 articles each month for free on BostonGlobe.com.

The Boston Globe

Metro

Bail set for teenager in Franklin High videotaped assault

Bail was set at $1,500 today for a Franklin teenager in Wrentham District Court for his alleged assault on a schoolmate on Thursday that was videotaped and later posted on popular social media websites.

David Salmon, 17, pleaded not guilty to a felony charge of aggravated assault and battery and was ordered to stay away from Franklin High School and the victim of the assault.

Continue reading below

A video of the incident shows the assault suspect waiting for the victim in the hallway of Franklin High School and then “sucker punching’’ the victim, police said last week. Officers said they suspect the attacker assaulted the victim because he thought that the student had been talking “trash” about him and that the recording proves the attack was premeditated and not spontaneous.

“This cowardly act is disturbing, and it does not reflect the expectations we espouse as a school district or as a community,’’ said a statement from the Franklin school superintendent, Maureen Sabolinski. “We are committed to ensuring all of our students are safe while they are in school.”

Salmon is due back in court June 26 for a pre-trial hearing.

Colin A. Young can be reached at colin.young@globe.com.

You have reached the limit of 10 free articles a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than $1 a week