LYNN — A 13-year-old boy suffered severe burns to his face, chest, and arms after playing with a windshield cleaning liquid in a Commercial Street backyard Friday afternoon, fire officials said.
Lynn District Fire Chief Bob Bourgeois said the boy and a group of friends poured Splash, a windshield washer solution, into a plastic cap and lit it on fire. Then they added more solution, and it ignited, burning the victim.
The boy ran next door to the home of Iastrid Mota, at a Rockmere Gardens complex. Mota, 17, said the boy was crying and pleading for help. When she asked him what happened, he said, “My friend burned me.”
“I called the police, and he just kept crying and trying to hug me,” Mota said. “He stopped talking, and wouldn’t say how his friend burned him.”
The boy’s friend appeared and told the victim, “I’m sorry; I didn’t mean to do this,” Mota said.
Not wanting to hurt the boy, Mota resisted hugging the boy and instead placed wet towels on the victim while emergency personnel arrived.
The boy was transported to an area hospital, fire officials said. On Friday evening, the condition of the boy was unknown. The Lynn Fire and Police departments could not be reached for further comment.
Mota’s sister Ana, 19, said the boy lived in the neighborhood and often played behind her home.
Iastrid Mota said she wanted to help make the boy as comfortable as possible. “I was trying to figure out how to do the right thing,” she said.
Bourgeois said playing with flammable liquid is extremely dangerous.
“The results are never good,” he said. “Anything you do with flammable liquids is a bad idea.”
at email@example.com. Follow her on Twitter