State Rep. Henriquez faces additional charges in Arlington

State Representative Carlos A. Henriquez faces additional charges in Arlington in allegedly kidnapping and assaulting a woman with whom he had a ­romantic relationship last weekend.

Henriquez has pleaded not guilty to charges of domestic ­assault and battery and domestic kidnapping, charges brought by Boston police.

According to a report filed by Arlington police, he is also facing charges in that city of kidnapping, witness intimidation, three counts of assault and battery, and larceny under $250.


The first-term lawmaker from Dorchester allegedly drove the woman, against her will, from her mother’s house in Arlington to Boston, where she said she escaped from his car and flagged down a passerby for help.

Get Fast Forward in your inbox:
Forget yesterday's news. Get what you need today in this early-morning email.
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

In a statement, Henriquez later said that the allegations were “completely untrue.” On Monday, he posted a message about the case on Twitter: “Please understand that this is a serious legal case and that I can’t speak to details of the incident publicly until it is heard in court.”

Katherine Gonzalves, the ­alleged victim, said at a press conference Wednesday, “I have told the truth about this incident and will continue to do so.”

In the police report, filed Tuesday in Cambridge District Court in Medford, Gonzalves provided a more detailed ­account of the events leading up to the alleged altercation.

Gonzalves, 23, told police in Arlington that she and ­Henriquez had met in February at a community meeting, which she attended as part of a college project, the report said. They started to meet about the project and, in March, “went on an official date,” the report said.


Last Saturday, while ­Gonzalves attended a family gathering at her mother’s house in Arlington, she and ­Henriquez texted one another through the evening, according to the report. Henriquez agreed to meet her in Arlington. ­Between 3 and 3:30 a.m., the report says, he called to say he was outside the house. ­Gonzalves’s mother asked her not to leave, she told police, and the young woman told her mother that she would meet Henriquez at his car, tell him that she was going to stay the night at her mother’s, and then return to the house.

Gonzalves told police she got in the back seat of Henriquez’s Zipcar, “expecting to kiss for a little while.”

When she told Henriquez she could not leave with him, according to the report, he “got very angry and began yelling at her, stating, ‘You made me come all this way!’ ”

According to the report,Henriquez then back-
handed her across the face, grabbed her by the throat, and punched her in the chest area. When she tried to record his ­actions on her cellphone, he took out her SIM card and ­refused to return it.

Henriquez then climbed from the back seat into the driver’s seat and drove off, heading toward Boston, the report said. Gonzalves was eventually able to escape and contact police on Forsyth Street near Northeastern University, authorities have said.


Henriquez was arrested by Boston police about 4:30 a.m. Sunday in the Forsyth Street ­area.

Stephanie Soriano-Mills, Henriquez’s attorney, questioned the validity of ­Gonsalves’s statements in the Arlington report.

“Ms. Gonzalves’s stories are becoming more elaborate and different by the day,” Soriano-Mills said. “Representative Henriquez maintains his innocence and denies all these claims.”

Leonard Kesten, an attorney for Gonzalves, said her client “stands by everything she told the police, and Arlington police did a comprehensive interview.”

“We look forward to hearing her client say what happened,” said Kesten, pointing out that Henriquez has not provided a statement to Arlington police.

Jessica Venezia Pastore, a spokeswoman for the Middlesex district attorney’s office, said it is still unclear if the case will be handled by the Middlesex or Suffolk district attorney’s office. If the case is handled by Leone’s office, she said, the arraign­ment would take place on July 31.

Martine Powers can be reached
Follow her on Twitter
@martinepowers. Martin
Finucane can be reached at