Man accused of running down victim in Dorchester arrested in California

About 3,000 miles from the crime scene and more than three months afterward, Boston­ police arrested a man believed to have run down and killed another man in Dorchester with his car.

Antwan Wathey, 24, charged with murder in the April 13 death of James Taylor, was ­arrested in Tarzana, Calif., last week.

At Wathey’s arraignment in Dorchester District Court on Monday, Judge Robert Baylor ordered him held without bail pending a probable cause hearing. A not-guilty plea was ­entered on Wathey’s behalf.


Assistant Suffolk District ­Attorney Mike Callahan said in court that Taylor and Wathey had an ongoing dispute over Wathey’s alleged abuse of ­Taylor’s cousin, whom Wathey was romantically involved with.

Get Fast Forward in your inbox:
Forget yesterday's news. Get what you need today in this early-morning email.
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

About 1 a.m. on April 13, Taylor and Wathey got into an argument, then a fist fight near the inter­section of Talbot Avenue and Norwell Street, according to Callahan. After a second argument, Taylor and his cousin left, walking toward Blue Hill Avenue. Taylor allegedly flashed a knife at Wathey as he was leaving, Callahan said.

As Taylor’s cousin stepped onto the curb, “he heard an ­engine racing loudly,” according to the prosecutor. “As he looked to his right, he observed the ­defendant's car accelerating rapidly toward the victim, who had not yet made it to the curb.”

Callahan said that Taylor’s cousin saw Wathey’s car veer into Taylor, then drive off without stopping. Taylor was pronounced dead at Boston ­Medical Center.

Witnesses told police they did not see Wathey’s car brake before or after it struck Taylor, Callahan said, adding that debris found at the scene was consistent with damage to Wathey’s car.


Police learned that Wathey had moved out of his Dorchester apartment hours ­after the fight.

Matt Woolbright can be reached at Follow him on Twitter