Three suspects held in South End slaying

Trio taken at gunpoint during I-93 police chase

Police officers closed off part of Southampton Street in the South End after a man was shot and killed on Wednesday.
Bill Brett/Globe staff
Police officers closed off part of Southampton Street in the South End after a man was shot and killed on Wednesday.

A man in his 20s is dead ­after being shot on Southampton Street in the South End on Wednesday evening, which led to a police chase on Interstate 93 and three suspects being taken into custody at gunpoint, authorities said.

The fatal shooting was one of two separate killings in the city Wednesday.

A Boston police officer was in the area of 85 Southampton St. when he heard gunshots and witnessed a vehicle fleeing the scene, said officer Nicole Grant, a police spokeswoman. The officer then found the victim with an apparent gunshot wound. The man was taken to Boston Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead, Grant said.


State Police were alerted at 6:49 p.m. to the pursuit of a silver Nissan after the suspects fled and drove onto I-93 from the Massachusetts Avenue ramp, said David Procopio, spokesman for the State Police.

Get Fast Forward in your inbox:
Forget yesterday's news. Get what you need today in this early-morning email.
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

A state trooper, who saw the Nissan stuck in heavy traffic on I-93 over Columbia Road, followed the vehicle, Procopio said.

The three suspects were stopped, taken into custody at gunpoint, and turned over to Boston police for questioning, he said. The trio were not ­arrested Wednesday night.

The identities of the victim and the three suspects were not available Wednesday night.

Authorities recovered a firearm that was discarded on the southbound side of the highway, just south of Columbia Road, said Procopio. Both State and Boston police searched for evidence “from Melnea Cass ­onto the Southeast Expressway.” The southbound side of ­I-93 from the Mass. Ave. onramp to where the suspects’ vehicle was stopped near the Freeport Street exit was shut down for the search, said State Police.


It was unclear Wednesday night if the weapon found is connected to the fatal shooting, State Police said.

No further information was available, and the investigation was ongoing, Boston police said.

In another slaying earlier Wednesday, police said a 23-year-old man was shot in the head in Dorchester and died that night at ­Boston Medical Center.

The victim, who was not identified, was shot inside a building at 14 Lyndhurst St. about 11:05 a.m., police said. No arrests had been made by Wednesday night.

Tony Edwards, who lives next door to the building, said he was outside around 11 a.m. exchanging insurance information with a woman with whom he had a minor accident, when he heard a shot and saw two men walk out of the building.


“I’m sitting there writing my information for her on the back of her vehicle when we hear this ‘pow!’ ” Edwards said from his front porch, moments before a Boston police detective asked to come inside his home to talk.

“To me, I thought it was just people working up the street. So I continued to write my ­information down, and then all of a sudden casually two gentlemen come walking out of the building.”

A baby, two toddlers, and a woman who was crying were escorted out of the building by investigators.

The children left with three waiting women, while the woman who was upset was driven from the scene in a police cruiser. A police K9 unit was brought in at about 1:15 p.m. and the dogs began sniffing around the front yards of neighboring houses.

Derek J. Anderson can be reached at Katheleen ­Conti can be reached at ­