Law enforcers honored for their heroic deeds

28 are recognized with Hanna medal

Shawn McIntyre with his son, Gavin, after the trooper received a George L. Hanna Award Tuesday at UMass-Boston.
Shawn McIntyre with his son, Gavin, after the trooper received a George L. Hanna Award Tuesday at UMass-Boston.

It is just a piece of tricolored ribbon — red, white, and blue — with a small medal hanging from the end. But it means the world to Woburn police Officer Mark Gibbons, who never expected to receive the Hanna Medal of Honor for taking on a robbery suspect and prevailing in a gun battle.

“I never thought I would be getting the Hanna medal in my life,’’ Gibbons said Tuesday after he and 27 other law enforcement officers from across the state were honored by Govenor Deval Patrick at the 29th annual Trooper George L. Hanna Awards for heroic acts during 2011. “Trooper Hanna gave his life protecting others. It’s something to be proud of — and I will cherish it.’’

Gibbons, the son of a Woburn police officer, was on duty on Sept. 6, 2011, when several people tried to rob the Musto Jewelers store on Cambridge Road. Gibbons’s colleague, Officer Robert DeNapoli, arrived at the store and came under fire from one of the suspects as the group fled out a rear door.


DeNapoli — who was honored Tuesday with the Medal of Valor — had his gun shot from his hand and was on the ground when the assailant climbed on top of his cruiser and fired repeatedly at him. The burly officer, who is still out of work, lost a piece of his index finger and sustained eye damage from pieces of his shattered windows.

Get Fast Forward in your inbox:
Forget yesterday's news. Get what you need today in this early-morning email.
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

“It’s an honor,’’ said DeNapoli after receiving the medal. “I am very proud of it.’’

The suspect, later identified as Antonio Matos, ran from the store and was tracked down by Gibbons in another neighborhood. He was on Lexington Street when the gunfire started again. Matos shot first, according to a summary read aloud at Tuesday’s ceremony, firing three times into the driver’s side of Gibbons’ marked cruiser.

Gibbons slid down in his seat and fired five shots through the windshield, striking the suspect. He then crawled from his cruiser and exchanged a second volley of gunfire, and the two rounds Gibbons fired finally brought an end to the struggle. Matos was captured and hospitalized. He has pleaded not guilty and is awaiting trial.

“All I was thinking about was staying alive,’’ said Gibbons.


Two Boston police officers, Francesco G. Recupero and Dennis J. Murphy, also received the Medal of Honor for their roles on Aug. 10, 2011, when an armed man shot a neighbor and then barricaded himself inside a Brighton housing development. Recupero and Murphy helped medically stabilize a shooting victim, who later died, and also rushed back inside even as the assailant was firing.

Twelve other Boston police officers, including members of the Special Weapons and Tactical Operations Team, were also honored for their actions on Ledgemere Road, which ended with the suspect’s arrest.

Speaking about his officers and others who were honored, Police Commissioner Edward Davis said the committee that selected the honorees faced a difficult task winnowing the candidates from departments across the state.

“But these heroism-under-fire stories . . . are the ones that are special, that stand out,’’ he said. “Even though there are many things that happen, many stories each day in the police services . . . these individuals have been honored, rightfully so.’’

Three Springfield police officers and a state trooper were also given the Medal of Honor for capturing an escapee from a Department of Correction facility in Shirley on April 30, 2011, after he had killed a man in a Springfield barber shop and critically wounded the barber.


Trooper Stephen J. Gregorczyk, Lieutenant Alberto Ayala, Officer Raul Gonzales, and Officer Marcus Starks traded gunshots with the escapee, who popped out of the trunk of a car and began firing. Starks also removed two children from the vehicle during the wild shootout.

Hanna was a member of the State Police for nearly 10 years when in February 1983 he was fatally shot by three assailants after stopping a car in Auburn.

John Ellement can be reached at