Metro

FAIRHAVEN

Woman, 84, dies in house fire in Fairhaven

Advertisement

An 84-year-old woman died in a house fire Thursday morning, officials said. The blaze started at 10:26 a.m. in the kitchen of an in-law apartment above the garage of 304 Mill Road, said Wayne Oliveira, public information officer for the Fairhaven Fire Department. The woman, Barbara Wilbur, apparently tried to extinguish a stove fire with the kitchen sink sprayer and then attempted to exit the apartment, Oliveira said. Wilbur collapsed just feet from the door. The fire is believed to have been accidental, but is under investigation, the state fire marshal’s office said.

Sarah N. Mattero can be reached at sarah.mattero@globe.com.
Loading comments...
Real journalists. Real journalism. Subscribe to The Boston Globe today.
You're reading  1 of 5 free articles.
Get UNLIMITED access for only 99¢ per week Subscribe Now >
You're reading1 of 5 free articles.Keep scrolling to see more articles recomended for you Subscribe now
We hope you've enjoyed your 5 free articles.
Continue reading by subscribing to Globe.com for just 99¢.
 Already a member? Log in Home
Subscriber Log In

We hope you've enjoyed your 5 free articles'

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com