SOMERVILLE — A man accused of shooting another man outside his parents’ three-family home on Broadway took a cellphone video that prosecutors say shows he escalated an argument that led to the shooting.
Santano Dessin, 33, of 169 Broadway, was ordered held without bail by Judge Maurice Flynn during an arraignment Tuesday morning in Somerville District Court. Flynn approved a motion by prosecutors to seal the case file pending a dangerousness hearing in Somerville District Court on Friday.
Dessin is accused of shooting a 28-year-old Somerville man in the neck during an argument with the victim and two other men, one a tenant of his family’s home, at about 11:30 p.m. Sunday.
The victim, whose name was not released, remains in Massachusetts General Hospital with critical injuries, Stephanie Guyotte, a spokeswoman for the district attorney, said Tuesday.
Dessin’s attorney, Cheryl McGillivray, sought to have Dessin released on personal recognizance, arguing he acted in self defense. Dessin is charged with assault with intent to murder, assault and battery causing serious bodily injury, and discharging a firearm within 500 feet of a dwelling.
He turned himself in to police Sunday night and showed them a video that he believed proved he acted in self defense, Assistant District Attorney Lila Palmer said. But detectives who reviewed the video believe it shows that Dessin escalated an argument with three men outside the home, Palmer said.
“This was not self defense,” Palmer said Tuesday in court.
Dessin’s brother, Jacques Dessin, previously told the Globe that the three men attacked his brother after he threatened to call police because they wouldn’t let him back inside the home.
Family members declined to comment. “This is devastating for the entire family,” MacGillivray said.