One person died after a four-alarm fire sparked by a plumbing torch ripped through a Lowell apartment building Tuesday afternoon, authorities said. An elderly man making repairs with the torch in a bathroom on the second floor of the Central Street building is believed to have started the fire by accident. The body that was found this morning is likely the man, the State Fire Marshal’s office said in a statement. The state’s medical examiner will conduct the official identification.
Unlimited access to BostonGlobe.com for only 99 cents for the first 4 weeks.Sign up
Are you a home delivery subscriber?
Get FREE access as part of your print subscriptionStart Here
Contact us for help