Read as much as you want on BostonGlobe.com, anywhere and anytime, for just 99¢.

Fire marshal: Fatal Lowell blaze was started by a plumbing torch

One person died after a four-alarm fire sparked by a plumbing torch ripped through a Lowell apartment building Tuesday afternoon, authorities said.

An elderly man making repairs with the torch in a bathroom on the second floor of the Central Street building is believed to have started the fire by accident. The body that was found this morning is likely the man, the State Fire Marshal’s office said in a statement. The state’s medical examiner will conduct the official identification.

Continue reading below

Firefighters battling heavy flames were unsuccessful at retrieving the man, the Lowell Fire Department said.

The building had an ethnic market on the first floor, and residences on the second and third floors.

Sarah N. Mattero can be reached at sarah.mattero@globe.com. Material from the Associated Press was used in this report.
Loading comments...
Subscriber Log In

You have reached the limit of 5 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com