Read as much as you want on BostonGlobe.com, anywhere and anytime, for just 99¢.

Nitric acid spill reported at Danvers industrial area

An estimated eight gallons of nitric acid was spilled this afternoon in a warehouse in Danvers, the fire department said.

The spill was reported just before 2 p.m. inside the Doe & Ingalls building on Water Street, said Danvers Fire Captain Frank Sacco.

Continue reading below

Sacco said that a Doe & Ingalls empoyee was taking a pallet of the chemicals off a shelf, hit a support pole, and some of the cases fell to the floor, spilling the liquid.

“The building had to evacuate, but there’s no other hazard other than that,” Sacco said. “It’s contained in the building and there are no vapors.”

Nitric acid is a highly corrosive and colorless liquid that is used to manufacture fertilizers, among other things. Those exposed to the chemical should avoid inhaling it or getting it on their skin.

No injuries were reported, and a cleanup crew was contracted by the warehouse to come in. Sacco expects the acid will be cleaned up after 6 p.m.

Sarah N. Mattero can be reached at sarah.mattero@globe.com.
Loading comments...

You have reached the limit of 5 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week