You can now read 10 articles in a month for free on BostonGlobe.com. Read as much as you want anywhere and anytime for just 99¢.

The Boston Globe

Metro

Fire that began on stove destroys Swampscott house

SWAMPSCOTT — Investigators have determined that a fire that destroyed a house in Swampscott Thursday morning began on the stove and was acci­dental.

In a written statement, State Fire Marshal Stephen Coan and Swampscott Fire Chief Kevin F. Breen said that while the investigative team identified where the blaze started, it could not be determined whether one of the occupants accidentally left the stove on or the family’s dog turned it on while “counter surfing” as this dog was known to do, the statement said. The dog died in the fire.

Loading comments...

You have reached the limit of 10 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week