A candle sparked a three-alarm fire in a Brockton three-decker Tuesday night that left 18 people homeless and six puppies dead, fire officials said.
Firefighters arrived at 33/35 Park St. at 11:20 p.m, and flames were shooting from the second floor through the top of the building, officials said.
Fire Captain Jeff Gillpatrick said the building’s residents, 16 adults and two children, fled in their pajamas. Early Tuesday, Red Cross volunteers supplied track suits, toys, and snacks for the residents, Red Cross spokeswoman Ashley Studley said in e-mail.
The blaze started on the second floor, Gillpatrick said.
“A kid went into the bedroom and said he saw the corner of the bed on fire,” said Fire Chief Richard Francis. Francis said a candle is believed to have started the blaze.
“There were not a lot of fire hydrants on the street, and it took a couple of minutes to lay longer hose lines,” he said. “The fire had advanced too far, and the deputy chief made a good decision to pull the firefighters out of the building.”
Fire crews from West Bridgewater and Stoughton assisted.
Francis said damage was estimated at more than $200,000.
Francis said six pit bull puppies died in the blaze, and eight were rescued.
No residents were injured in the fire, but Gillpatrick said one person with preexisting medical problems was taken to a hospital as a precaution.
The city bused the residents to a hotel.Lauren Dezenskican be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.