Police in several Connecticut towns say they have seen a large increase in gun permit applications since the Newtown school shootings last month. Milford Police Chief Keith Mello told the New Haven Register that the number of gun permit applications in his town has doubled since a gunman killed 20 first-graders and six adults at Sandy Hook Elementary School. He said the department has handed out 44 applications in the past month, compared with 20 in the same period last year. Police in several other towns including Seymour, Branford, and Middletown also are reporting increases in permit applications. Statewide figures were not immediately available.
Connecticut police report surge in gun permit requests
| Associated Press January 14, 2013
Read it all, now.
Don't miss any of your favorite stories again. Read the stories that matter to you as much as you want, whenever you want when you subscribe to BostonGlobe.com.
Get full access today for just 99¢