Metro

EAST HARTFORD, Conn.

E. Hartford to pay $1.5m over pool death

Advertisement

East Hartford officials have agreed to a $1.5 million settlement with the family of a 15-year-old boy who drowned last year in the high school’s pool. Marcum Gyamfi Asiamah was a freshman when he drowned Jan. 11, 2012. His mother, Doris Amponsah, filed a notice of intent to sue the town and local and school officials. The Journal Inquirer of Manchester reported that Town Council chairman Richard Kehoe said Wednesday that the settlement is based on an assessment of the town’s ability to defend itself against the lawsuit. He said that following the drowning, the Board of Education has required a lifeguard at all school pools during swim classes.

Loading comments...
Real journalists. Real journalism. Subscribe to The Boston Globe today.
We hope you've enjoyed your free articles.
Continue reading by subscribing to Globe.com for just 99¢.
 Already a member? Log in Home
Subscriber Log In

We hope you've enjoyed your 5 free articles'

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com