Read as much as you want on BostonGlobe.com, anywhere and anytime, for just 99¢.

CHELMSFORD

Electrical cord sparked fatal Chelmsford fire

Continue reading below

Fire investigators concluded an electrical cord running under a fold-out couch caused the fire two weeks ago that killed two people in Chelmsford, the state fire marshal’s office said Thursday. Susan Astle, 67, and Paul Deslauriers, 77, died in the Jan. 5 Woodcrest Condominiums fire, and a 7-year-old boy is still hospitalized. Twenty-one apartments were destroyed by the fire and 31 people were left homeless. The building did not have a sprinkler system, which might have mitigated some of the damage and loss of life, because it was constructed before sprinklers were required in buildings of that type, a Department of Fire Services statement said.

Todd Feathers can be reached at todd.feathers@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter at @ToddFeathers.
Loading comments...
Subscriber Log In

You have reached the limit of 5 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com