Norwich and the Roman Catholic Diocese of Norwich are in court arguing over the future of a local soup kitchen and food pantry. The Commission on the City Plan has ruled that St. Vincent de Paul Place, Norwich’s only full-time soup kitchen and food pantry, did not fit into the neighborhood and rejected a permit, the Norwich Bulletin reported. The diocese appealed in US District Court in Bridgeport. The diocese said numerous other services in Norwich provide meals and food for the needy and that the soup kitchen was being unfairly targeted. Last week, a federal judge ruled that St. Vincent can remain at its location through Feb. 26 when an injunction hearing is scheduled. The diocese said St. Vincent de Paul averages 7,104 visits to its pantry every year, and serves nearly 80,000 meals.
Diocese in federal court to keep food pantry open
You've reached the limit of 10 free articles a month
Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.
- High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
- Convenient access across all of your devices
- Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
- Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
- Less than $1 a week