You can now read 10 articles in a month for free on BostonGlobe.com. Read as much as you want anywhere and anytime for just 99¢.

The Boston Globe

Metro

Fire hits Chelsea apartment house

A three-alarm house fire Wednesday afternoon in a densely packed Chelsea neighborhood that displaced up to a dozen residents may have been started by a cigarette butt left on a back second-floor porch, a resident said.

“I ran downstairs to the second floor, and the guy is pouring water on his back porch,” said Awilda Morales, 41, a mother of three who lived in the building on Congress Avenue. Her children were at school. “I asked what happened, and he said, ‘It’s on fire, and I can’t turn it off.’

Loading comments...

You have reached the limit of 10 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week