Fire officials said a 68-year-old man was killed in a blaze in East Providence that was sparked by a discarded cigarette, the second fatal fire in Rhode Island this week. The Providence Journal reported that Ronald Duarte was killed in the Thursday morning fire at a single-story home on South Blossom Street. Oscar Elmasian, the acting fire chief in East Providence, said the fire was ruled an accident. He said a cigarette that had been disposed of improperly sparked the fire in the living room. Duarte was taken to Rhode Island Hospital, where he later died. A 91-year-old woman died in a house fire in Lincoln Tuesday.
EAST PROVIDENCE, R.I.
Man dies in East Providence fire caused by cigarette
You have reached the limit of 10 free articles a month
Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.
- High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
- Convenient access across all of your devices
- Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
- Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
- Less than $1 a week