Read as much as you want on BostonGlobe.com, anywhere and anytime, for just 99¢.

Car explodes when starter ignites vapors from plumbing equipment

A car exploded in a Stoneham parking lot because a remote starter ignited vapors from plumbing equipment stored by the owner in the car, the state fire marshal says.

The car exploded at the parking lot of BJ’s Wholesale Club in Stoneham Sunday afternoon, according to Massachusetts State Police. Several other vehicles in the parking lot were also damaged.

Continue reading below

State Police Lieutenant Daniel Richard said no one was injured in the explosion, which occurred at about 3:40 p.m. at the Cedar Street store.

State troopers from the Medford barracks responded, as well as the State Police bomb squad, and Stoneham firefighters and police.

State Fire Marshal Stephen Coan reported that the explosion was caused when the remote starter key was hit.

Loading comments...
Subscriber Log In

You have reached the limit of 5 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com