Next Score View the next score

    Plymouth police searching for captain’s gun left behind in Wareham courthouse

    Police were searching Tuesday for a Plymouth police captain’s service weapon, which he left in a Wareham District Court restroom, authorities said.

    Plymouth Police Chief ­Michael Botieri said in a telephone interview that he was notified Monday afternoon that Captain John Rogers Jr. had misplaced the revolver while testifying at the court Monday. Rogers is in charge of operations for the department.

    Botieri said his department and Wareham police, who are conducting the investigation, are taking the situation “very seriously.”


    “It’s not an easy investigation,” he said. “There were a lot of people in the court at the time.”

    Get Fast Forward in your inbox:
    Forget yesterday's news. Get what you need today in this early-morning email.
    Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

    Botieri said Rogers would face “appropriate disciplinary action,” but commended him as a fine officer with a distinguished record.

    Rogers lost the revolver in one of the courthouse’s communal restrooms and did not realize for some time that the gun was missing, Botieri said.

    Once Rogers reported the missing weapon, State Police conducted an exhaustive search of the courthouse in case someone had stashed the gun inside the building. But the firearm was not found, Botieri said.

    “There is always danger in having an uncontrolled, unaccounted-for weapon,” Botieri said. “You don’t know what it’s going to be used for.”


    The problem with the Plymouth captain’s weapon comes a few days after New Hampshire officials were able to recover a handgun stolen from a court security officer at the Concord ­District Court.

    According to New Hampshire State Police, the court ­security officer misplaced her firearm while ­using the bathroom. State Police, using security camera video from inside the building, quickly learned that a Pittsfield, N.H., woman had taken the firearm and handed it off to a male friend.

    State Police arrested them at a Chichester tattoo parlor Saturday night. The .40-caliber Glock pistol was later found in the man’s Barnstead home, ­police said.

    Todd Feathers can be reached at ­Follow him on Twitter at @ToddFeathers.