You can now read 10 articles in a month for free on BostonGlobe.com. Read as much as you want anywhere and anytime for just 99¢.

The Boston Globe

Metro

Red Sox Live

2

4

▼  5th Inning 0 outs

Judge says insanity defense likely at trial

Jury selection in Wayland murder

WOBURN — Nathaniel ­Fujita, a young Wayland man accused of killing his former girlfriend in July 2011, will probably invoke the insanity defense at his trial, Judge Peter Lauriat told prospective jurors as jury selection began Monday.

“Mr. Fujita will likely be raising the issue of lack of criminal responsibility, commonly ­described as the insanity ­defense,” the judge informed potential jurors in Middlesex Superior Court.

Continue reading below

Fujita, 20,  began crying in court as he was introduced to the prospective jurors, covering his eyes and choking back several sobs. His parents sat ­behind him in the front row. They declined to speak to a report­er.

“I think it’s an emotional moment when the trial begins,” said Fujita’s lawyer, William Sullivan.

Lauren Astley was allegedly killed by an ex-boyfriend in July 2011.

Lauren Astley was allegedly killed by an ex-boyfriend in July 2011.

Fujita was 18 on July 3, 2011, when prosecutors say he choked and slashed to death his former high school sweetheart, Lauren Astley, 18, and dumped her body in a wooded marsh near Water Row in Wayland. The two had dated since ninth grade, but their relationship had ended in April 2011, author­ities said.

The murder shocked the small suburb, which had not seen a homicide in more than 25 years. 

Prosecutors have charged Fujita with first-degree murder, two counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, and one count of assault and battery.

If convicted, he faces life in prison without parole.

Sullivan declined to comment on whether his client would pursue the insanity ­defense. Sullivan filed a notice of intent to use the defense in September,  according to court documents, but simply filing ­intent does not guarantee that the defense will be used.

Three men and four women were selected Monday from a pool of 92  prospective jurors to serve on the jury.

Many potential jurors were excused over concerns about the length of the trial; others were excused after they said they had been following news coverage and could not be impartial.

Questions asked of the prospective jurors included whether photographs or testimony depicting graphic bloodshed would make it difficult for them to be impartial; whether they or their families had been treated by a mental health professional; and whether they or their families had ever had “contact with or concern about” drugs or alcohol that would make it difficult to be impartial.

Sullivan declined to say what he was looking for in a jury; prosecutor Lisa McGovern directed questions to the spokeswoman for her office, who declined to comment.

Astley’s father, Malcolm,  was also in the courtroom, writing in a notebook during the proceedings. He declined to comment.

Jury selection is set to continue on Tuesday.

The trial is expect­ed to last about three weeks, the judge has said, and the jury will probably begin delib­erations in early March. 

Evan Allen can be reached at evan.allen@globe.com.

You have reached the limit of 10 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week