The Maine fire marshal’s office has confirmed that a propane leak was to blame for a blast that leveled a two-unit apartment building and killed one person. Fire investigators said the leak was in the wall of the unit next to one where a woman’s body was found in the rubble Tuesday in Bath. Investigators believe fumes seeped into a crawl space before being ignited by an unknown source. The blast flattened the building, awakened neighbors, and scattered debris as far as a quarter-mile away. Four people were taken to the hospital.
Propane leak was cause of Maine house explosion
You've reached the limit of 10 free articles a month
Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.
- High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
- Convenient access across all of your devices
- Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
- Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
- Less than $1 a week