Are You in Florida for Spring Training? Come meet Globe Sports Writers Nick Cafardo and Peter Abraham! Click for more info.

Bath, Maine

Propane leak was cause of Maine house explosion

Continue reading below

The Maine fire marshal’s office has confirmed that a propane leak was to blame for a blast that leveled a two-unit apartment building and killed one person. Fire investigators said the leak was in the wall of the unit next to one where a woman’s body was found in the rubble Tuesday in Bath. Investigators believe fumes seeped into a crawl space before being ignited by an unknown source. The blast flattened the building, awakened neighbors, and scattered debris as far as a quarter-mile away. Four people were taken to the hospital.

Loading comments...

Wake up with today's top stories.

Want each day's news headlines delivered fresh to your
inbox every morning? Just connect with us
in one of the following ways:
or
Please enter a valid email
BostonGlobe.com will never post anything without asking. Privacy Policy
Subscriber Log In

You have reached the limit of 5 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com