Storm damage caused an electric meter to fail and ignite a fire, burning much of a Marshfield home in a three-alarm fire ednesday afternoon, said Marshfield Fire Chief Kevin Robinson. A neighbor checking the property on Ames Avenue discovered a fire in the rear of the home and called the Fire Department just before 3 p.m. Fire could be seen in the 2½-story home, built in 1890, when fire crews first arrived, Robinson said in a statement. The home’s balloon framing allowed the fire to rapidly move from the electric meter to the attic. The fire, which was knocked down just after 4 p.m., made the home uninhabitable, Robinson said. Since the weekend’s blizzard, the Marshfield Fire Department has responded to more than 300 incidents, including five building fires, Robinson said.
Storm damage leads to 3-alarm electrical fire
You have reached the limit of 10 free articles a month
Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.
- High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
- Convenient access across all of your devices
- Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
- Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
- Less than $1 a week