You can now read 10 articles a month for free. Read as much as you want anywhere and anytime for just 99¢.

As Mass. coast recovers, a storm looms

Melinda Krasting spent Friday removing treasured belongings — family pictures, artwork, her dog’s ashes — from her Wellfleet home, which has been condemned and will probably soon be demolished.

Her house once sat 50 feet away from the low-tide mark on a scenic Cape Cod beach. The rash of violent storms that thrashed the coast in February and early March devoured the sand under her house. Now it stands suspended on its pilings, like the proverbial other shoe waiting to drop.

Continue reading below

“I’m sitting here in my bedroom looking out the glass sliders and there’s nothing under my feet for 20 feet down,” Krasting said. “Nobody around here has ever seen devastation like this happen so quickly.”

The 62-year-old was quick to temper her discouraged words with a thought for those still suffering from Hurricane Sandy in New Jersey. They have it much worse, she said.

Krasting is looking for a new location to build again in ­Wellfleet, away from the ocean, but until then, she is sleeping on sympathetic friends’ couches because her own home, at 180 Cliff Road, is no longer safe.

“Right now I’m putting my blinders on and saying, ‘First things first, I need to get my life out of here,’ ” she said. “A house isn’t just a container, it’s a ­receptacle of life.”

And the storms keep coming. Forecasters predict that another blast of harsh weather could dump rain and snow on the state Monday night, bringing with it the now-familiar storm swells that have eroded many coastal areas.

“If we have a few more storms like we’ve had ­[Krasting’s house] will collapse,” said Richard Stevens, Wellfleet’s building inspector.

Wellfleet has been luckier than beleaguered Plum Island to the north, where another house was torn down on Friday because of erosion undermining its foundation, bringing the total to six.

On Tuesday, Harry Trout Jr., 73, watched a bulldozer tear down the fragile remains of his home at 36 Fordham Way in Newbury.

His is one of three Fordham Way homes destined to be pulled down. Three more were demolished on nearby Annapolis Way after last week’s storm.

“I had many good memories of raising my children there and their friends,” Trout said. “Those are the piercing feelings. I’m still in shock, I can’t sleep.”

Newbury Town Administrator Tracy Blais is optimistic that no more homes will need to be taken down as a result of last week’s nor’easter. Seven homes in the town are still considered uninhabitable for the time ­being, though, and 15 more have been affected, from slight erosion near the foundation to underground septic tanks and wells being destroyed.

Now that all the houses are down, the town of Newbury can finally carry out a volunteer beach cleanup on March 25, Blais said.

Todd Feathers can be reached at todd.feathers@globe.com. ­Follow him on Twitter at @ToddFeathers.
Loading comments...

You have reached the limit of 10 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week