Metro

Officials: Blaze that destroyed NCAA player’s Hamilton home was a chimney fire

The chimney was the origin of the blaze that burned down an NCAA basketball player’s house in Hamilton while he was playing in the March Madness tournament, the state fire marshal’s office said.

The fire broke out in the two-story Colonial-style home of Michael Carter-Williams shortly after 10 p.m. Saturday, roughly a half-hour after Carter-Williams’s team, Syracuse University, took the floor against California in San Jose, Calif.

Advertisement

The 6-foot-6-inch hoop star’s stepbrothers, stepfather, and two of his friends were watching him play when the fire started. They and the family’s dog made it out quickly, Jennifer Carter, Carter -Williams’s aunt, told the Globe Sunday.

In a joint statement, State Fire Marshal Stephen D. Coan and Hamilton Fire Chief Philip W. Stevens Jr. said the cause of the fire on Cutler Road was “a chimney fire.”

The fire was investigated by the Hamilton fire and police departments and by State Police assigned to the fire marshal’s office.

Loading comments...
Real journalists. Real journalism. Subscribe to The Boston Globe today.
We hope you've enjoyed your free articles.
Continue reading by subscribing to Globe.com for just 99¢.
 Already a member? Log in Home
Subscriber Log In

We hope you've enjoyed your 5 free articles'

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com