You can now read 10 articles each month for free on BostonGlobe.com.

The Boston Globe

Metro

Newly named judge says no delay in Bulger trial

Ruling cheered by families of alleged victims

A judge recently assigned to preside over the racketeering and murder case of James “Whitey’’ Bulger said Tuesday that she plans to go forward with the highly anticipated trial in June, drawing cheers from relatives of some of the gangster’s alleged victims who feared there would be a delay.

US District Judge Denise Casper said she will stick to the previously set schedule, with opening statements June 10 in a trial that lawyers estimated would last all summer and probably into September.

Loading comments...

You have reached the limit of 10 free articles a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than $1 a week