You can now read 10 articles a month for free. Read as much as you want anywhere and anytime for just 99¢.

Blind resident rescued from burning home in Everett

First responders rescued a blind resident from a burning home in Everett early Thursday, officials said.

At 6 a.m., the Everett Fire Department received a call for a fire at 187 Elm St., with a person trapped on the second floor, Fire Chief David Butler said.

Continue reading below

An Everett police dispatcher said the man was blind and missing a leg and needed to be evacuated from the three-
family residence because he was disabled. He did not appear to be injured.

Before firefighters extinguished the two-alarm blaze, flames singed the exteriors of three surrounding buildings, Butler said, as well as three cars parked in the home’s driveway. The fire was contained to one building, he said.

One firefighter suffered a back injury and was taken to the hospital with injuries that were not considered to be life-threatening.

Firefighters extinguished the blaze, which was heavy in the rear of the building when crews first arrived, in just over an hour. The building is probably a total loss, Butler said. The fire does not appear to be of suspicious origin.

According to city assessor ­records, the multifamily home was built in 1900 and had an asbestos exterior.

Lauren Dezenski can be reached at lauren.dezenski@
globe.com.
Loading comments...

You have reached the limit of 10 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week