Metro

Boston

Lit cigarette caused 6-alarm blaze in Dorchester

Advertisement

The careless disposal of a cigarette was the cause of a six-alarm blaze in Dorchester on Wednesday that caused an estimated $1.2 million in damage and left 30 people homeless, the Boston Fire Department said Friday. The fire began on the third-floor rear porch of the house. It spread to two neighboring properties, the department said. The blaze struck around 6:35 p.m. Wednesday. Fire officials said the fire was a “perfect storm” because the three-deckers were close to each other and the fire swirled in a confined space.

Martin Finucane can be reached at mfinucane@globe.com.
Loading comments...
Real journalists. Real journalism. Subscribe to The Boston Globe today.
We hope you've enjoyed your free articles.
Continue reading by subscribing to Globe.com for just 99¢.
 Already a member? Log in Home
Subscriber Log In

We hope you've enjoyed your 5 free articles'

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com