You can now read 10 articles in a month for free on BostonGlobe.com. Read as much as you want anywhere and anytime for just 99¢.

The Boston Globe

Metro

CRANSTON, R.I.

RI National Guard cancels ‘Leapfest’ due to cuts

Continue reading below

The Rhode Island National Guard is canceling Leapfest, its annual international parachuting competition, because of automatic federal budget cuts. The Guard made the announcement Tuesday. The static line parachute competition had been scheduled for August. Major General Kevin McBride, adjutant general of the guard, said all military demonstrations are prohibited because of the cuts. Leapfest has been held since 1982, and it is described by the Guard as the largest, longest standing international static-line parachute training event and competition. It has drawn teams from nations including New Zealand, Tunisia, Britain, and South Africa. McBride said they will plan to hold it next year.

You have reached the limit of 10 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week