Read as much as you want on BostonGlobe.com, anywhere and anytime, for just 99¢.

SANFORD, Maine

Furnace explosion injures resident in Sanford, Maine

Continue reading below

Officials with the state fire marshal’s office say a 39-year-old Sanford man was severely injured when a wood furnace exploded in his backyard. Authorities say Thomas Basinger was trying to ignite a fire in the furnace on his Lebanon Road property when it exploded Tuesday afternoon. Investigators say Basinger’s wife doused her husband with a garden hose, but he suffered burns on more than 90 percent of his body. He was taken to Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston for treatment. Officials believe Basinger used a flammable liquid in the furnace that exploded when he tried to light it. They are trying to determine exactly what happened.

Loading comments...
Subscriber Log In

You have reached the limit of 5 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com