REVERE — The family of a Revere high-school student whose photograph appeared in the New York Post indicating a link to the attacks at the Boston Marathon said they were being hounded and were afraid to leave their home.
The front page of Thursday’s New York Post featured a photo of Salah Eddin Barhoum, 17, and another young man watching the marathon before the blasts with the headline: “Bag men: Feds seek these two pictured at Boston Marathon.”
The FBI later released photos of two suspects in Monday’s bombings, neither of whom were Barhoum.
Barhoum, a runner for his high school track team, told the Associated Press Thursday that he is afraid to go outside, fearing people will blame him for Monday’s bombings. The AP reported that Barhoum is a Moroccan native and went to authorities, anxious to clear his name.
The teenager later told ABC News that when he saw the Post’s front page, “It’s the worst feeling that I can possibly feel. . . . I’m only 17.”
Outside the family’s apartment building on Thursday, a man who indicated he was Barhoum’s father, but declined to give his name, told a Globe reporter and other members of the press in broken English that reporters had been hounding his family all day Thursday and they had been afraid to leave.
“From one o’clock in the morning till now, we [ate] nothing,” he said. “Please, can you respect my family?”
“The picture of my son on the Internet, [he] is now skewered,” the man said.
Amateur Internet sleuths on various websites, culling through images of the Marathon, had highlighted Barhoum and others as potential suspects in Monday’s bombings, which killed three people.
The man who indicated he was Barhoum’s father declined to be interviewed further and said his son did not want to speak to the press any more late Thursday afternoon.