You can now read 10 articles a month for free. Read as much as you want anywhere and anytime for just 99¢.

Barros resigns from Boston School Committee

John F. Barros resigned from the Boston School Committee this week because he says he is seriously considering a run for mayor, taking another step toward jumping into an ­already crowded race.

Barros stopped short Tuesday of declaring his candidacy, saying in an interview that he had “not formally made that ­decision.” Last week, Barros registered a candidate’s committee with the state Office of Campaign & Political Finance, a move that allows him to raise money for a campaign.

Continue reading below

On Monday, Barros submitted a letter of resignation to Mayor Thomas M. Menino, saying he would immediately leave his post on the School Committee because he did not want his political activity to compromise that board’s work.

“The School Committee’s work should not be political, and the integrity of the work of the committee will be threatened if political interest is perceived to influence decisions in any way,” Barros wrote.

Barros’s resignation was first reported by the Dorchester ­Reporter. In the letter, Barros said he was proud of his 3½ years on the School Committee and described Menino as a “true education mayor” who has “overseen the transformation of our system into a higher performing urban district.”

Barros was the first Cape Verdean to serve on the School Committee when he was ­appointed in January 2010. In the interview Tuesday, he said he has been asking for people’s support and examining whether he can raise enough money to mount a campaign.

Barros, a Roxbury resident and executive director of the Dudley Street Neighborhood Initiative, would join a field of potential candidates that has grown to almost two dozen. A flood of aspiring mayors have stepped forward since Menino announced he would not seek a sixth term.

‘’

Quote Icon

Another candidate, Bill ­Walczak, loaned his campaign $50,000 to jump-start the ­effort. Walczak, a cofounder of the Codman Square Health Center, is a first-time candidate and began his fund-raising from scratch.

“Obviously, I’m committed to my campaign,” said Walczak, who has also deposited $6,800 in donations. “I started with ­zero.”

Andrew Ryan can be reached at acryan@globe.com Follow him on Twitter @globeandrewryan.
Loading comments...

You have reached the limit of 10 free articles in a month

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week