You can now read 5 articles in a month for free on BostonGlobe.com. Read as much as you want anywhere and anytime for just 99¢.

Candidate Barros pledges an inclusive City Hall

Mayoral candidate John Barros was surrounded by close friends and family during his announcement Thursday.

Pat Greenhouse/Globe Staff

Mayoral candidate John Barros was surrounded by close friends and family during his announcement Thursday.

John F. Barros launched his campaign for mayor Thursday in an intimate coffee shop in Roxbury, where roughly 60 people crammed around wooden tables, standing to hear his ­vision of an inclusive City Hall that pushes big ideas and places a premium on education.

Barros deliberately staged a low-key announcement in deference to the victims of last week’s Boston Marathon bombings, saying Boston is still “in mourning, remembering those who have left us and praying for those who are still healing.”

Continue reading below

But he delivered an upbeat message to the crowd of familiar faces at Haley House Bakery Café. He urged the group — which included his father, mother, lifelong friends, and strangers — to rally behind him more as a cause than a candidate.

“This campaign is about the collaborative capacity of building the city we want together with opportunity and access to all,” Barros said. “We are standing here. We are running for mayor. We are going to change Boston. We have to do this ­together. This is not a campaign about John Barros.”

He spoke about growing up in Roxbury, the son of Cape ­Verdean immigrants who sometimes struggled to put food on the table but protected him from the social ills that ­often plague urban neighborhoods. His parents made education his guiding light, he said, forbidding him to work as a young man so he could focus on his studies.

Continue reading it below

Barros made it far: He graduated from Dartmouth College and landed a corporate job in Manhattan. But then he returned home and made a name as executive director of the Dudley Street Neighborhood Initiative, a nonprofit that has helped revitalize Roxbury. He became the first person of Cape Verdean descent to serve on the School Committee, but stepped down last week to launch his bid for mayor.

Barros is on leave from the Dudley Street Initiative during his mayoral campaign, ­although he will still be ­involved with the nonprofit.

Before he decided to run, Barros said he spent two weeks consulting with family and confidants. He spoke to voters across the city, sitting in living rooms for discussions that sometimes lasted until almost midnight. He spoke to other candidates and has had several conversations with outgoing Mayor Thomas M. Menino, who, Barros said, “gave me some really good advice I’d hate to give to everybody else.”

“My biggest obstacle is time,” Barros said when asked about challenges facing his campaign. “I think if I get in front of voters, I can win their support. I need to work. I need to go now and get in front of as many people as possible.”

Andrew Ryan can be reached at acryan@globe.com.
Loading comments...
Subscriber Log In

We hope you've enjoyed your 5 free articles'

Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.

  • High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
  • Convenient access across all of your devices
  • Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
  • Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
  • Less than 25¢ a week
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Marketing image of BostonGlobe.com
Already a subscriber?
Your city. Your stories. Your Globe.
Yours FREE for two weeks.
Enjoy free unlimited access to Globe.com for the next two weeks.
Limited time only - No credit card required!
BostonGlobe.com complimentary digital access has been provided to you, without a subscription, for free starting today and ending in 14 days. After the free trial period, your free BostonGlobe.com digital access will stop immediately unless you sign up for BostonGlobe.com digital subscription. Current print and digital subscribers are not eligible for the free trial.
Thanks & Welcome to Globe.com
You now have unlimited access for the next two weeks.
BostonGlobe.com complimentary digital access has been provided to you, without a subscription, for free starting today and ending in 14 days. After the free trial period, your free BostonGlobe.com digital access will stop immediately unless you sign up for BostonGlobe.com digital subscription. Current print and digital subscribers are not eligible for the free trial.