Marathon bombing suspect moved to Devens facility

The Federal Medical Center in Devens, Mass.
AP File/2011
The Federal Medical Center in Devens, Mass.

The US Marshals Service has moved Boston Marathon bombings suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev to the Federal Medical Center Devens, a federal prison facility on a former military base west of Boston, the agency said this morning.

“The US Marshals Service confirms that Dzhokhar Tsarnaev has been transported from the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and is now confined at the Bureau of Prisons facility FMC Devens at Ft. Devens, Mass,” the agency said in a statement this morning.

A spokeswoman for the marshals service in Washington said she had no information to release other than the statement.


Tsarnaev, 19, of Cambridge, who was captured by police last Friday evening, had been treated since then at Beth Israel Deaconess.

Get Fast Forward in your inbox:
Forget yesterday's news. Get what you need today in this early-morning email.
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

In other developments today in the bombings case:

— Governor Deval Patrick defended shutting down Boston during the manhunt last Friday for Tsarnaev;

— A letter from a state agency to a legislative committee obtained by the Globe said the Tsarnaev family had received welfare and food stamps;and

— The Patrick administration said it was asking for federal relief for small businesses and private non-profits impacted by the bombings.


The medical center at Devens houses inmates who require “specialized or long-term medical or mental health care,” according to the US Bureau of Prisons website. The facility is located about 39 miles west of Boston.

Three people were killed and 264 were injured in the twin blasts that struck at the finish line of the Marathon at 2:50 p.m. on April 15.

Tsarnaev and his brother, Tamerlan, 26, the two suspects in the bombings, also allegedly assassinated an MIT police officer last Thursday night. Tamerlan Tsarnaev died after a shootout with police early last Friday; police say he was run over by his brother as he desperately drove away. The younger brother was able to elude police initially, but was captured on the evening of the same day.

The bombings have raised questions about what motivated the brothers, how they got the know-how to build the bombs, and whether authorities should have prevented the attacks after getting warnings from Russia about the older brother.

Lauren Dezenski can be reached at Follow her on Twitter @LaurenDezenski.