Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino said the city is “well-protected” and large celebrations like those for July 4 will go on as planned, despite last month’s lethal Boston Marathon bombings.
People should expect more surveillance cameras than in the past.
“What you’ll see at these events is more temporary cameras,” Menino said in an interview that aired Sunday on WCVB-TV’s On the Record. “That’s one thing that I’m advocating for: in large events, bring in some temporary cameras so you’re watching the event.”
Menino also talked about the apparent lack of communication between the federal government and local authorities prior the bombings. Boston Police Commissioner Edward F. Davis testified last week that federal agents did not inform local authorities about the 2011 investigaton of Tamerlan Tsarnaev, one of the suspects in the attack, until after the bombings.
“Something fell through the cracks,” Menino said. “I don’t understand why they didn’t share it. I wasn’t privy to those meetings at all.”
You have reached the limit of 5 free articles in a month
Stay informed with unlimited access to Boston’s trusted news source.
- High-quality journalism from the region’s largest newsroom
- Convenient access across all of your devices
- Today’s Headlines daily newsletter
- Subscriber-only access to exclusive offers, events, contests, eBooks, and more
- Less than 25¢ a week