A 13-year-old boy was found safe in Cambridge Tuesday night about three hours after his father had allegedly kidnapped him after an altercation in Roxbury, prompting an Amber Alert and an intensive police search, officials said.
Boston police said Jonathan Moore Sr., 36, took his son, Jonathan Moore Jr., by force from a home at 9 Highland St. in Roxbury about 7:30.
Moore Sr. and an unidentified woman fled with the youth in a red 1997 Toyota Camry with the Massachusetts license plates 634RH4, police said.
Police at the scene on Highland Street said at about 10:40 p.m., that Moore Jr. had been dropped off unharmed at a relative’s house in Cambridge and was being taken to Massachusetts General Hospital for an evaluation. Moore Sr. remained at large late Tuesday night.
The youth’s aunt, Kimberley Norris, said outside the house on Highland Street that she was en route to the hospital to check on her nephew and her husband, who was injured during the altercation with the father and will need surgery.
She said of the hours after Moore Jr. was taken: “It was kind of hectic. Just worried, frantic, not knowing where he is, not knowing where he’s going, not knowing if he’s safe.”
A neighbor, Benjamin Lenart, 22, said he heard a group arguing and peeked out and saw Moore Jr. run up the street. “Everyone’s screaming at each other, and they’re all right here on the street,” Lenart said.
He said Moore Sr., who he had never seen, shouted “that’s my son” before the boy ran.
He said the father caught up to the boy after a short distance and he ended up in the car. “When he got into the car, they basically hit the gas”, Lenart said. He added that he did not see a weapon or notice anyone put their hands on Moore Jr.
“It was more like two people screaming” and the youth was unsure whom to follow. Lenart said that the boy and his family are nice people and that he never heard yelling before.